Monday, December 12, 2011

40X-2000X Biological Compound Microscope with Mechanical Stage,AmScope

40X-2000X Biological Compound Microscope with Mechanical Stage,AmScope

As a home-schooling mom of 6 I can't say enough about this scope. We have struggled with several under $100 microscopes and I wish we would have started with this one. It is simple enough for our 4 year old to use and advanced enough for our son in college. The mechanical stage is a definite plus making it easy to find all sorts of creatures and to give coordinates for science assignments. This is better than the scope I used in college and we have had a great time with it.
I would recommend purchasing slides, a good how to guide etc because you will quickly become addicted. Nothing beats the right tool to get the job done and all of a sudden, science is the favorite class. We have studied parameciums to stem cuttings. The only thing I can think of that makes this less than perfect is that I need a case. The desciption neglects to tell you what is included - 2 light filters, a lighting iris diaphragm to control light levels, dust cover - in short it was more than I expected. Crystal clear images and with someaneuvering we can get a 3d image.
The price can't be beat (especially with free shipping)- I HIGHLY recommend this scope and can't imagine a kid not mesmerized examining his own blood,cheek cells, dust mites, algae, pond creatures, pollen, bees' legs, flies' wings etc, etc
This microscope is well made and of metal construction. I have wanted a microscope for many years but the models I found in local hobby shops were either way too expensive or cheaply constructed of plastic. Thanks to Amazon, I was able to find and select this quality product. Upon receipt, I performed the simple assembly within 10 minutes and was viewing paramecium, amoeba, planaria and other creatures in a drop of water from my backyard pond in no time at all.
After about a month of ownership, I purchased a Celestron digital USB imager for less than 50 bucks and I can now view and photograph excellent images as well as create videos of anything seen through this microscope using my PC. The microscope comes with both 10X and 20X eyepieces as well as color filters (which I would love to know how to use if anyone can advise me how to mount them) and a fantastic X / Y micrometer type clamping device which allows one to find an object, note its coordinates, move on and return to it easily rather than moving a slide with your fingers and possibly creating a mess. If you are looking for a well made hobby grade microscope for a very reasonable price, this is it. Do not be put off by the fact that this is not a well known name brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment